All blog content, including designs, text, and photographs are COPYRIGHT © Janette Olen. Everything posted here is shared for your personal inspiration and enjoyment only and may not be used for publication or for design team submissions. Thanks so much for stopping by!

Monday, September 8, 2008

Embossed shimmer

This uses the try a new technique challenge- embossed shimmer. I have to totally admit that this was so hard for me and was quite time consuming. The biggest problem is that I did not have the correct supplies (Lumiere) so I had to improvise and that truthfully is why I did not get the correct results. I tried using shimmerz paint alone and that was way too thin and transparent. I tried acrylic paint and pearl ex but that kinda cracks and I must not have had the correct amount of pearl ex because it was lumpy LOL. The card below uses versamark and pearl ex on the acetate. The results are pretty but when putting it together the adhesive did not stick and was taking the shimmer off the acetate so I had no choice but to use brads- and you thought they were for decoration didn't ya LOL?





After creating the time consuming bg, I stamped the image and masked it so I could stamp the snowflakes to create a wintry scene. I colored Riley with copics and painted the snowman with shimmerz- my new favorite product. The edge of the oval was sponged and snowflakes have stickles. The layout uses Frances' awesome sketch which is the hanna stamps! challenge of the week. You can see the deets here if you would like to play along with us.

Supplies:
stamps- hanna stamps snowman riley, hero arts sentiment
CS- real red, bashful blue, white, acetate
ink- memento tuxedo black, bashful blue, white craft, versamark
accessories/tools- oval nesties, stardust stickles, angel wings shimmerz paint, red grosgrain, red brads, Pearl Ex (micro and macro pearl), cuttlebug swiss dots and divine swirls folders, white ep


I did make a second card using this technique and this one was done using the acrylic paint and pearl ex. The only color paint I had was orange so this is how I chose which image to use LOL. This adorable penguin is one of 40 newly stamps from H&M Stamps. It is called beach time Percy. There are 4 other Percy stamps I believe so if you are a penguin lover be sure to check them out. As an added bonus, there is free shipping this month too and no discount code is needed and there is also not a minimum purchase required!



The penguin image is stamped with brilliance graphite black. I want to just take a minute to talk about black inks because they are not all created equal! If I am stamping an image with a lot of black like penguins or silhouettes I will use brilliance black because it has awesome coverage for these images. You can use it with copics but it may need to be heat set to do it especially if you don't have alot of drying time. Palette noir- a good universal black. I use this for gamsol technique and much of my general stamping. It is pretty good with copics but will sometimes bleed a bit if coloring directly on it. Versafine black- I use this with detailed images like Thomas Kinkade or if I have tried palette first and am not getting a good image. Last but not least is my newest find- Memento tuxedo black. This is my now my favorite ink for copic use. I have not experienced bleeding with it and have not needed to heat set. I hope this little tangent of mine will prove to be helpful to you. Anyway, I painted my penguin with shimmerz. Also painted with shimmerz is the white layer. This was one of my attempts at doing the technique that failed but I did not want to throw it out and found that it worked well for the white layer especially since it was shimmery like the penguin. The ribbon tag was sponged with summer sun ink while still in the nestie die. The layout uses Julee Tillman's mojo Monday sketch.

supplies:
stamps- Percy Penguin from H&M Stamps, sentiment hanna stamps
CS- white, black, unknown sunshine dp, acetate
ink- brilliance graphite black
accessories/tools- orange acrylic paint, pearl ex, shimmerz paint in angel wings and beeswax, black brads, spellbinders ribbon tag trio, satin trimmed organdy, cb divine swirls folder


Thanks so much for stopping by today!

4 comments:

Vicki G said...

Janette. This is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!!

Kathy H said...

Both cards turned ou awesome!!!

Bev said...

What a fantastic card - love the penguin

hugs Bev x

Anonymous said...

WOW! These are truly amazing Janette!! I love the shimmer!!